In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~ Proverbs 3:6

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Letters to my Babies - Week 22

We are so thankful for this pregnancy! After sharing our journey through infertilty on the blog, I knew I wanted to log our newfound 40 week journey of pregnancy on the blog as well. Not knowing if I’ll ever be able to experience pregnancy again, I have chosen to log our pregnancy by writing occasional letters to our babies. The letters will keep my readers posted on how we are doing each week, but the letters will also be something that our little ones can go back and read, as a reminder of how much he or she was loved from the very beginning of their existence. You can read previous weeks by clicking on the following posts: Week 5, Week 7, Week 9, Week 12, Week 13, Week 15, Week 16, Week 18, Week 19, Week 21.
 
This post is a few days late, but oh well…..at least I’m getting around to writing it.  We went to the doctor on Friday at 22 weeks.  We had to go in for a routine appointment to check my cervical length, and we were supposed to do a growth ultrasound.  Daddy and I requested that the growth ultrasound be pushed back two weeks to help get us back on schedule with our ultrasounds.  Our medical care required a 6, 9 and 12 week ultrasound.  We weren’t supposed to get another ultrasound until our 20 week anomaly scan, but the placenta previa for Baby A had us going back for an additional ultrasound at 16 weeks.  Then at 19 weeks, we had the unexplained bleeding and that put us in the hospital with two ultrasounds in one day.  It also threw off our ultrasound schedule, but I think we should be back on track when we go back to the doctor at 24 weeks for a cervical ultrasound and a growth ultrasound. 

From 20 weeks to 28 weeks, we are supposed to get a cervical ultrasound every other week.  I am told by our doctor that this is proper protocol with twins.  The extra weight of multiples can cause the cervix to shorten, potentially causing early labor.  The cervix is checked every other week, and if it has shortened, they put a stitch in to prevent labor.  After 28 weeks, my doctor said there is nothing they can do to prevent the cervix from shortening.  Since babies born at 28 weeks have a high survival rate, it is not a big concern after that point anyway, so we can stop going in every other week to measure my cervix once I reach 28 weeks.  

 
Also beginning at 20 weeks, we are supposed to have an abdominal ultrasound to check for fetal growth every four weeks.  While we didn’t do an abdominal growth ultrasound on Friday, they did quickly check your positions and take a few pics for me.  You have both changed positions since our last appointment.  As of Friday, you were both vertical, head down and feet up.  No detailed pictures this week, but here you are at 22 weeks.
 
Baby B 22 Weeks
 
Baby A 22 Weeks
Other than keeping up with all of the doctor appointments, I’ve been getting a lot done as far as the planning and preparing for you arrival goes.  Nursery completed – CHECK! As soon as we found out you were both boys at 16 weeks, we got started on the nursery.  I am very particular about the details of the nursery, and I wanted it done before I was too big to put hours of work into it.  By 20 weeks, the nursery was completely finished.  Registry completed – CHECK!  I did all of my registering online from the comforts of the couch.  We are officially registered at Target and amazon.com. Much like registering for a wedding, I found registering for a baby to be a little overwhelming, but I somehow managed to get through it.  I don’t like clutter in my home, and babies come with so much stuff….especially when you need two of everything!  Family baby shower planned – CHECK! From what I’ve read, twin baby showers need to be done early, so I wanted mine done by 30 weeks.  They say that if you have it after 30 weeks, you’ll be too miserable to enjoy it.  Grandma is helping me mail the invitations this weekend, and our shower is scheduled for January 25th…..I’m hoping the weather cooperates that weekend. 


I should also note that I’ve started to feel you move within the past few weeks.  As I’m writing this, I can feel both of you moving within me.  My doctor told me I would not feel anything until 22 weeks, because both of your placentas are anterior. However, around 20 weeks I could feel what is described as quickening.  Since I had never experienced pregnancy, I wasn’t quite sure what I was feeling at the time.  By 21 weeks, I was feeling occasional jabs and kicks if my hands were resting on my belly.  By 22 weeks, I feel you often and can tell which one is moving inside of me.  You are very wiggly.  It’s funny because you are routinely wiggly at certain times of the day.  For example, you are usually active from 9-12 in the morning, and then you are very active in the evenings from 5-9.  Last night one or both of you would kick every thirty seconds while I was eating my dinner.  This lasted a very long time.  It was the most movement I had felt from you at one time.  Daddy loved it, because he often misses out on feeling the kicks, but last night he felt plenty of kicking. 
 
 
The bigger you get and the more you move, the more uncomfortable I become.  However, I remember that it was not too long ago when I was asking myself if I would ever know what it was like to feel a baby move and grow inside of my belly.  Having those thoughts still fresh in mind, you won’t hear me complaining about any discomfort your movement might cause me.  Rather, I am simply thankful I get to experience what it is like to be able to feel two little active babies growing inside of me.


Love Mommy

1 comment:

  1. I haven't stopped by your blog in a long time, and when I last did, you were sharing your infertility story - how exciting to stop by now and see that you are having TWINS!! Congrats :) I'm very excited for you :)

    ReplyDelete