In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~ Proverbs 3:6

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

DIY Furniture Polish


I've been sharing my go-to homemade cleaners with you on the blog this week.  So far I've shared what I use as a laminate floor cleaner and what I use as a window and glass cleaner.   Today I want to share what I use to polish furniture.


To polish my wood furniture, I use a combination of olive oil and lemon juice.   It doesn't take much to polish furniture, so I only mix a small dose at a time of 1 cup olive oil and 1/2 cup of lemon juice.


I keep my mix in a recycled spray bottle that used to be a Mrs. Meyer's cleaner.  I took off the old label and replaced it with my own label.  This bottle was smaller than a lot of my other recycled spray bottles, so it works great for the small amount of furniture polish I keep in the bottle.


This cleaner is a polish.  It is not an all purpose cleaner or disinfectant.  I only use it on my wood furniture.  Before I polish the furniture, I dust the furniture with a duster.  Then I shake the bottle, to make sure it is well mixed, and lightly mist the furniture before drying the furniture with a microfiber rag.  I don't need to use very much to get a good polish, and I always make sure to wipe the polish off well.


Overall, I think this furniture polish works well.  I don't notice any grimy residue after using it, but there is still a noticeable shine to the furniture.  Unlike other furniture cleaners, my toddlers can put their hands all over the freshly polished furniture and I don't notice their hand prints.  This cleaner is a win for me.  It's easy to make, it's affordable and it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment