In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~ Proverbs 3:6

Sunday, May 10, 2015

And they call me Mama.....




Mother's Day....How lovely it is to be able to experience this day as a mother for the second year in a row!  

I try to be a little sensitive on this day, as it is not always a celebratory day for everyone.  For some, Mother's Day can even a hurt a little.  

For those who have lost a mother and would give anything to give just one more hug.....

For those who have lost a child and would give anything to hold them in their arms one more time....

For those who have experienced a miscarriage and would give anything to be able meet the life they created here on this earth just once.....

For those who struggle with fertility and would give anything to have someone call them Mama..

For those who struggle with a past abortion and would give anything to take it back....

For those who gave a child the love of a family through adoption by selflessly giving their child more than they could give on their own....yet would give anything to have been in a better place, at a better time, under different circumstance, so they could be called Mama.....

For those people, this day can be a little rough.  There was a time when I was one of "those", so know that while we are celebrating mothers everywhere on this day, your hurt is not forgotten.

Being one of "those" also makes this day much more special for me now that I am a Mama.  Motherhood is the hardest job I've ever had, yet somehow it is the only job where I can have a rather unpleasant day and still go to bed feeling beyond blessed.  



Take today, for example.  It's Mother's Day, and I haven't had a moment to myself until now.   Matt was gone all morning.  It was my job to get the boys up, fed, dressed and out the door to make a two hour drive to Grandma's house.  As soon as Daddy got home, we loaded the car.  I had about forty minutes of peace and quiet until Aaron woke up and fussed off and on the remaining eighty minutes of our drive.  When we arrived at Grandma's house, she had a lovely lunch prepared.  Of course, I forgot the booster seats for the kitchen table, so the boys ate lunch on our laps.  Afterwards, we enjoyed the afternoon with family, and then we loaded the car back up for a two hour drive home.  The boys were supposed to take a nap on the way home, but instead Aaron screamed the ENTIRE WAY HOME.  By far, the most unpleasant part of my day.  We got home, made dinner, fed the boys, cleaned up the boys, bathed the boys, and put the boys to bed. It's 8pm, and I'm finally getting a little "me" time.  

Now, was my day awful?  Absolutely not.  It was a good day.  Was it relaxing?  Not so much.  YET, even with all of the fussing and screaming on our car ride today, I am sitting here thinking to myself how blessed I am.  How blessed I am to know the unconditional love of motherhood.  Even on my worst day, the love for my boys trumps any rotten thing they will ever do.  That is motherhood.  It is a love like none other.  How blessed am I that two little boys call me Mama!  Motherhood is the best thing that has ever happened to me!  

I still remember my mother-in-law telling me exactly two years ago that whenever motherhood happened for me, whether through birth or adoption, all of my hurt would go away the moment I held my child in my arms.  How true that statement was.  I still remember the hurt of not knowing if someone would ever call me Mama, but now that I am fully engulfed in this life of motherhood, the hurt is a distant memory....and that's all because they call me Mama.  

Thank you Jesus for my two sweet blessings and choosing me to be their Mama!  May I always strive to be the kind of Mama they need me to be.




No comments:

Post a Comment