In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~ Proverbs 3:6

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

DIY Thing One and Thing Two Birthday Party Hats


After my blog series on our twin boys' Dr. Seuss first birthday party, it's no secret that I really enjoy a little Dr. Seuss fun!  When we found out we were having twins, I knew I was going to dress the boys up as Thing One and Thing Two for their first Halloween.  In a previous post,  I shared the DIY Thing One and Thing Two Halloween costumes I put together for the boys' first Halloween.  The whole "twin" thing made it really easy for me to pick the Dr. SeussThing One and Thing Two theme for the boy' first birthday party.  This morning I want to share the DIY Thing One and Thing Two birthday party hats I made for the party.



You can't have a party without party hats for the birthday boys, right?  I had a hard time finding Thing One and Thing Two hats, so I made my own inexpensive hats.  Truthfully, on the day of the party, I couldn't even get the boys to keep the hats on their head.  The hats ended up being more of a decoration on the cake table, but that's ok.  They didn't cost me much to make, and they looked really cute, even if they weren't on my little guys' heads.



Party hats are really easy to make and can be made to customize the theme of any party. Here's how I made mine.

  1. I purchased scrapbook paper that matched my colors for the party.  I made sure the paper was card stock, because the thicker paper was better for this project.  
  2. I cut the 12x12 paper to the size of computer paper, and printed a party hat pattern that I found online onto the card stock. You could also print the pattern onto regular paper, and then trace the pattern onto the paper being used for the hat.  The party hat pattern I used can be found here.
  3. I then cut out my hat and taped it together.
  4. For embellishments, I bought a bag of small blue poms poms from the craft store and hot glued the pom poms to the bottom and top of the hats.  Any kind of embellishments will do. Tassels, fringe and sparkles, just to name a few.  
  5. For the Thing One and Thing Two logos, I Googled the image, copy and pasted the image to Microsoft Word, adjusted the size, printed the logos, cut out the logos and pasted the logos to the hats.
  6. Lastly, I used ribbon (attached to the hats with Velcro) as the hat strap, making sure to measure each boy for the hat first.  

No comments:

Post a Comment